Tuesday, October 23, 2007

My rantings about Gundam 00

I just finished watching the latest series of Gundam, which is Mobile Suit Gundam 00. It took part in a very different timeline compared from the last series of GS/GSD. It was 2307 AD, and the main protagonist is a young boy named Setsuna F. Seiei. Setsuna is part of a private military organization, called Celestial Being, formed to eradicate war with the use of four humanoid machines called Gundams. Mobile Suit Gundam 00 follows four mobile suit pilots termed Gundam Meisters (Setsuna F Seiei, Lockon Stratos, Allelujah Haptism and Tieria Erde).



Setsuna looks like a younger, crazier, more psycho version of Heero. Allelujah has a very wierd name for a pilot, and Tieria looks like a girl or Athrun who just had his hair rebonded. The four male pilots in a group clearly proves that 00 is a rip-off of Gundam Wing, which is mostly to be Yaoi. And yes, I'm saying that this 00 is a Yaoi series.



As much as I wanna support this series, it really got me down knowing that it has major flaws. I'll just site some that I already metioned from the forum Im in.



1. I do undertand that the timeline is far different than CE. So i can scratch a bit of technolgy improvements in this series. Although the cockpit of the MS looks roomy, and i like that.

2. The Gundam Emblem/mark or whatsoever looks kinda like a brand for Gundam Enterprises... no offense

3. I don't like the music that much... its not Gundam-ish if you ask me. Even if the first OP is sung by LArcEnCiel

4. Where are the pretty sparkling lights? There aren't much beams and sabers and explosions and stuff.

5. The animation is good.. i can say that... its flowings and nice. But as you can see and if you look at it closely, the pic and animation's colors looks dull. It lacks life if you ask me. It's like code geass but a lil bit of Gundam

6. The mobile suits aren't much of a problem to me. Except that I don't like Exia... it looks kinda thin, too thin to be exact. Kinda like malnourished >_<>_<

7. The characters looks like... uhmm... pardon the pun... yaoi-ish... i thought that guy with the glasses has normal hair, but he has a high ponytail... ten there's a Solomon look-a-like from Blood+. And even a Haruhi Fujioka look-a-like... not to mention Tiera... looks like Athrun na nagpa-rebond

8. I do like the pink-haired mechanic and the blue-dressed princess that acts like Lacus... plus the Chinese singer that looks like Minmei from Macross

9. And the protagonist... uhh... all i can say is that he does look and even act and talk like Heeru Yuy... nothing much special about him as i see it. (but i could be wrong since its just the first ep.) but then again, he looks too normal.

10. The pacing of the story is too slow for me... it focused that te war rather than the character... you can say it as not character-centered XD



BONUS: Haro as a targeting computer? anyways, pardon my rants... but so far my rate for this Gundam 00 is 6/10... 6.5 the most...



^^that's my review when i first watched ep 1.

ANd this next one is for ep 2.



First off, i take back of what i said about the animation being good in quality. Seeing the 2nd ep really broke my heart. The character movements were too "stiff". They are not life-like and they move like dolls or in UC's words mannequins.



The characters mouths doesn't move that right, the cheeks aren't even moving if you look at it. I know it not much of a priority to some other fans, but it really gave my previous rating of 6.5 to 6.0



ANd another thing i'd want to comment about the series, is that it lacks music. Not even a single insert song was played in it, it reduces the feeling of watching anime.



I'd say that music is an essential part of anime, and knowing that 00 doesn't have one yet... well, i'll leave the rest of the rants to myself >_<



Going back to movements of the series, now i got what UC told me on the phone. The battle is "one-sided", the gundams have more advantages of both speed and power, while the "tank-ish" enemies moves like lego blocks. Unfair naman sa kabilang side di ba? it shows that the gundams have the upper hand of the battle - always. Para bang laging strike freedom ang dating... ilang segundo lang tapos na ang laban, i thought no more godly-gundams here T___T



Oh, and about the haro... im starting to like him XD Orange-kun!!! not the one in code geass i mean... but having him in auto-pilot is kinda kewl.. and the irritating comments like "loser! loser!" to Lockon is adding quite a few cuteness-points XD



Last thing though, about the pilots. Why don't they even say their lines properley? its like their saying their launching sequence in "monotone"... do you guys get me? again, it lacks life...



oh, and that Lousie girl- did i get her name right? the girl in the first part ofthe ep, the blonde one with the haruhi-fujioka-guy-look-a-like.... im gonna watch her... she could be the next Lunamaria Hawke T___T



And lastly, enough about those, let's go to ep 3



Honestly, this ep really brings out the Yaoi-ness of the series. First off, Allelujah just wore a very tight fitting black shirt that gave emphasis to his body. Not much that I question their sense of fashion or preferance for clothes - i still think its gayish.



Plus the fact that they hang out at the mall for some drinks. It really is the first time I saw Gundam Pilots hanging out at express station or soemthing...



Then Lockon just ordered milk for Setsuna, there's no harm there, just plain old milk. But wat really got me was the thing he said, "Just looking after you kid." accompannied by a "bang" hand gesture at Setsuna. O.o



Ok, enough about the mall thing. Let's skip to the next scene, in which Tieria wore a pretty pink sweater, ok again I have no right to question their fashion statements, but it really gives off the wrong impression. Plus another thing is when he refused to celebrate with his crew and captain when he got back to their ship. He looked away from his captain and said, "I got other things to do." <---- gotta message of "sorry, im not interested in partying with girls."



Moving along, there's a new character in the seires that I don't know the name. He's a guy with blonde hair and the scene happened at the bar. He sat beside the guy and said, "Is this seat taken?" gawd! that really gave away 00's cover! it's Yaoi!



Im sorry, I really can't take it any longer. I can't even make another review in this series. So if there are any 00 fans out there that is reading this post of mine - Im sorry, but this gundam really made my hairs stand. After all the eps has been aired, i'll bet all my money on having tons of fanfics about this in the yaoi category, just like gundam wing.



ANyways, I'll end this post here, along with my apologies to 00 fans. But i gotta go and watch "real" gundam series.

No comments: