Saturday, September 1, 2007

My heart problems

Exam weeks are finally over - Thank God for that. Now I can relax and take it easy for a while. Hopefully, I'll pass those tests, even if I don't get the highest scores, for as long as I pass it's fine by me. You wouldn't imagine how hard I studied for those 3 subjects, and yet I spent almost 1 week in advance just studying 1 major. To be honest, I didn't expect that I was pushing myself too hard for those tests. That it came to the point that it affected my health.

Yesterday was our last day of examination, and I was so excited to end it. But by the time I got hold of my exam papers, something strange happened to me. I got the sudden feeling of pressure in my chest, that it feels that it was aching. The pressure was making it hard for me to breathe and at the same time I felt dizzy. My heart palpitations were triggered again, in which I call "skipping", coz my heart was skipping beats for a moment.

I got scared at first coz it was my first time to experience such sensation or feeling. Some questions are forming inside my head that I couldn't shake it off. "What's happening to me?", "Am I gonna die?"

I know, it scared me too, and I tried not to think of it. I tried to calm myself and raise my hand to call the attention of our prof. But little by little, the feeling finally subsided. I was kinda relieved, knowing that for now I'm ok.

After the exams, I headed straight home and drank and glass of water then rested for a while. I felt better and I immediately texted my mom and Jon about my recent episode. Mom called me and said to recline my bed and rest, Jon said to rest for a while and stay with my aunt and cousin so that I have someone with me, in which I obeyed.

By the time my folks were home, I told them what happened to me. They called the hospital and fixed me an appointment with a cardiologist. It's a good thing that the doctor was nice and he seem approachable. And so I told him everything about my palpitations and stuff. He asked about my eating habits and study habits. And said that my chocoholic behavior is affecting my heart, same goes with softdrink and coffee. Coz they serve as stimulants to trigger heart palpitations.

The doc said that I'll be under observation fo 3 weeks w/o any caffeine products, such as softdrinks, chocolates, coffee and etc. And if after 3 weeks my "skipping" continues, they'll fix me up with a 2D echo for my heart,as well as ECG. And if they find something, they'll hook me in a holster for 24hr observation.

And so for now, my doc advised me to lay off the chocos and coke for a while and rest. Hopefully, things will turn out ok. I'm sorry for the problems I've caused you all people, especialy my paents and hubby. Thank you for your concern and support.

No comments: