Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Making my hairclip

This is final touch for my Lacus costume that I'll be cosplaying on UP AME - her hairclip. From the very start of doing my costume, I considered this one as the hardest part in the making of my costume. I don't want an ordinary cardboard pin for my hairpin, so I scratched the thought of using illustration board.

I thouht of buying the ones sold online on ebay, but I don't have my credit card access, my dad will kill me T___T. Then I thought of asking a metalsmith of forging it for me, but I can't find one. I tried sculpting it with clay and plaster, but its too heavy for the wig.

Until finally, I learned from http://www.cosplay.ph//forums/ Filcosplay about rubber sheets. Well, I know its not the best material for making accessories, but it won't bend like cardboard, it won't break like plaster, it's not heavy like clay, and its cheap compared to custom accessories fom a metalsmith.

But~ I'm very far from Marikina where they sell very cheap rubber sheets, so I went to HandyMan Hardware Store and bought small piece of rubber called Trimming Mat, it's a rubber sheet with adhesive on the other side. It cost me 30 bucks for that rubber. Then I went to the bookstore and bought gold acrylic paint for 70 bucks.

So I went home immediately and started shaping and cutting my hairpin. It was hard to get the shape of it, kinda like a lightning-shaped one. And then I started painting it with gold. Then attached a normal hairpin underneath so it could fit in with my hair/wig.

Then here it is, my Lacus Clyne hairclip.



No comments: